We’re in the depths of chili-making season and this Chipotle Chicken Chili really hits the spot. Smoky and sweet with a tinge of a spicy kick best describes this deliciously simple chicken chili recipe. We’re using all the best adjectives for this Chipotle Chicken Chili recipe: easy, quick, hearty and healthy … oh, and it comes together in 30 minutes or less. Can’t beat that!
Prep the ingredients the night before you plan to make this easy chili recipe. You’ll shave 10 minutes from prep time and find yourself with a quick weeknight dinner that takes little effort to get on the table after a busy day. It keeps in the fridge in an airtight container for up to four days and is perfect for meal prep. This healthy chicken chili also freezes exceptionally well, though these days leftover chili is hard to come by at our house. Did I mention we love chili season?
Chipotle Chicken Chili Recipe Ingredients
Here’s what you’ll need to make this Chipotle Chicken Chili recipe:
- Shredded chicken – Leftover chicken or rotisserie chicken works well. We keep our freezer stocked with smoked shredded chicken which is what I used for this recipe.
- Butternut squash – I love the flavor butternut squash gives to this chicken chili. You can use diced sweet potatoes if butternut squash is not in season.
- Black beans – Black beans add flavor and texture. This recipe calls for two 14.5-ounce cans of black beans, drained and rinsed. Use low-sodium beans if you can find them.
- Chipotle chiles in adobo sauce – These chiles are the stars of the show. They put the “chipotle” in Chipotle Chicken Chili, after all.
- Fire-roasted tomatoes – These tomatoes add a touch of that smoky flavor we love about this chili, but feel free to use regular diced tomatoes if that’s what you’ve got on hand.
- Chicken broth – Use low-sodium or homemade chicken broth, if possible.
- Aromatics – Onion, garlic, cumin and oregano need no explanation!
- Avocado oil or extra-virgin olive oil – For sauteing the aromatics.
- Salt and pepper – Just a dash.
- Toppings – Get creative! Sour cream, crumbled Cojita cheese, fresh or pickled jalapenos, green or red onions, crisp diced radishes and cilantro are all great options for garnishing your chili.
Chipotle Chicken Chili
Chipotle Chicken Chili is a quick and easy weeknight dinner recipe that can be prepped in advance and garnished with all your favorite chili toppings. It’s smoky and sweet and gets a light heat from the chipotle chiles in adobo sauce.
- Total Time: 30 mins.
- Yield: 4-6 servings 1x
- 2 teaspoons avocado oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups butternut squash, diced in ½-inch cubes
- 2 14.5-ounce cans low-sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 14.5-ounce can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 3 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 1 pound shredded or diced cooked chicken, such as leftover or rotisserie chicken
- Freshly cracked pepper, to taste
- Garnish with toppings of choice, such as sour cream, crumbled Cojita cheese, fresh or pickled jalapenos, green or red onions, crisp diced radishes and cilantro
- In a small food processor, combine the chipotle chiles in adobo sauce with ½ cup of low-sodium chicken broth. Process until smooth.
- Heat a soup pot over medium heat and add the oil. Saute the onion until translucent, about 3-5 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium and add the garlic, saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the group cumin, oregano and salt and saute until fragrant, another 30-45 seconds.
- Add the next five ingredients, including the chipotle chile mixture and remaining chicken broth, and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the cooked chicken and simmer for 5 minutes more. Garnish, serve and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 10 mins.
- Cook Time: 20 mins.
- Category: 30-Minute Meals, Soups + Stews
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chipotle chicken chili, chicken chili recipe, easy chili recipe, healthy chili recipe, quick chicken chili recipe
Looking for more cold-weather recipes?
Check out some of our favorite chilis, soups and stews: