There’s a lot to love about this Spicy Red Lentil Soup recipe. It’s healthy, full of fiber, easy to make and leans on pantry staples that can come together quickly on days when cooking a full meal just isn’t in the cards.
We’re big fans of lentils here at Sweet New Roots. Lentils are versatile and are used in diverse cuisines all over the world. If you want to know what to cook with lentils, the possibilities are literally endless. I have a soft spot in my heart for this particular lentil soup recipe. I tend to get colds when the weather changes. I know y’all feel me on that one. Several years ago I started making this soup in batches and freezing it for days when I felt a cold coming on. I’m certainly not claiming that this lentil soup cures a cold. What it does is provides a sense of comfort, fuels my body with nutrients and comes together quickly on days when I don’t have the energy to cook.
Simply put, this easy lentil soup recipe is a keeper.
Spicy Red Lentil Soup Recipe Ingredients
Here’s what you’ll need to make this Spicy Red Lentil Soup recipe:
- Red lentils – Red lentils break down more quickly than other varieties. The short cooking time is a bonus when cooking with red lentils. They’re delicious, full of fiber and plant-based protein making this a heart-healthy recipe.
- Leek – Love leeks, don’t love trying to clean them prior to cooking. The Food Network has a quick guide on how to clean leeks. The extra effort is worth it, but diced white or yellow onion works perfectly well.
- Greens – Use your favorite seasonal greens in this spicy lentil soup recipe. Green chard, collard greens, kale and spinach are all great options.
- Fire-roasted tomatoes – We’re big fans of no-salt added fire-roasted tomatoes, but feel free to use what you have on hand.
- Aromatics – The best part of this spicy lentil soup recipe is definitely the flavor profile you get from the garlic, fresh ginger, ground coriander and garam masala.
- Cayenne Pepper – Everyone’s palate is different when it comes to the spice factor. Start small, give the soup a taste and adjust accordingly. If you can take the heat, this spicy red lentil soup will clear your sinuses right up! I speak from experience.
- Broth or water – Make this a vegan lentil soup recipe by using plant-based broth or water, or thicken it up with chicken or beef bone broth.
- Extra-virgin olive oil – Add an extra drizzle while sauteing the aromatics if you need to. EVOO is my preference but your favorite lightly flavored oil (sunflower, avocado) will work well. Steer clear of heavily flavored oils
- Red pepper flakes, salt and pepper – Just a dash.
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup leek, sliced (white part only) or 1 cup onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 14.5–ounce can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 6 cups broth of choice or water
- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed and drained
- 5 ounces greens of choice, chopped
- Red pepper flakes, for garnish (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a soup pot over medium heat and add oil. Saute leeks/onions until translucent. Add garlic and ginger and saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the coriander, garam masala and cayenne pepper (optional) and saute until fragrant and spices coat the vegetables, about 30 seconds.
- Add the next three ingredients (through lentils) and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until the lentils are tender.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the soup to your desired consistency. To use a regular blender in place of an immersion blender, let the soup cool for 10 minutes and then puree in several small batches.
- Add the greens to the pot of pureed soup and let simmer, covered for 3-5 minutes until greens are wilted. Top with red pepper (optional) and salt and pepper, to taste. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 15 mins.
- Cook Time: 30 mins.
- Category: Soups + Stews
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: spicy red lentil soup, spicy lentil soup, red lentil soup, lentil soup recipe