There are hundreds of delightful maple bourbon cocktail recipes out there, so what makes this version different? For starters, this Maple Old Fashioned recipe veers from the traditional in that it doesn’t call for bitters, a prominent ingredient in the classic Old Fashioned bourbon cocktail. What it lacks in bitters it more than makes up for with the addition of maple syrup. We like to think of it as fall in a glass!
Is an old fashioned without bitters really an old fashioned? We say, absolutely! Before you know it, you’ll be cozied up with this maple syrup old fashioned wondering why you never tried it before now.
Maple Old Fashioned Cocktail Ingredients
Making an old fashioned with maple syrup is almost as easy as it sounds. This list of ingredients is short and sweet, just like this drink.
Here’s what you need to make a maple bourbon cocktail:
- Bourbon or rye whiskey
- Maple syrup, such as Crown Maple Syrup’s Bourbon Barrel Aged Maple Syrup
- Freshly squeezed orange juice
- Orange twists
- Cocktail cherries, such as Woodford Reserve’s bourbon cherries or Tillen Farms Bada Bing Cherries
How to Make an Old Fashioned Without Bitters
The classic Old Fashioned whiskey cocktail typically calls for angostura bitters, but our maple bourbon cocktail does things a little differently. Here’s a quick guide on how to make an old fashioned without bitters. It may be the easiest thing you do today!
Step 1: Fill a cocktail shaker with ice cubes and add the bourbon, maple syrup and orange juice. Shake, shake, shake until thoroughly mixed and chilled, about 30 seconds.
Step 2: Add one extra large ice cube each to two double old-fashioned or low-ball glasses.
Step 3: Use the cocktail strainer to pour the maple bourbon cocktail into the two glasses.
Step 4: Garnish with a fresh orange peel and a cocktail cherry.
What's the Best Bourbon for an Old Fashioned?
That’s a big question! There’s no one right answer except to say this: the best bourbon for an Old Fashioned is a bourbon you enjoy. My husband will tell you a Buffalo Trace Old Fashioned is the way to go, but a sneak peek into his bourbon collection may say otherwise.
Find a bourbon you like and mix up this maple bourbon cocktail and enjoy!
Try These Whiskey Cocktail Recipes:
- Handful of ice cubes
- 4 ounces (1/2 cup) bourbon
- 2 ounces (1/4 cup) maple syrup
- 2 ounces (1/4 cup) freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 extra large ice cubes
- Orange twists and cocktail cherries, for garnish
- Fill a cocktail shaker with regular ice cubes and combine the bourbon, maple syrup and freshly squeezed orange juice. Shake until thoroughly mixed and chilled, about 30 seconds.
- Add one extra large ice cube each to two double old-fashioned or low-ball glasses.
- Using a cocktail strainer, split the Maple Old Fashioned into two glasses.
- Garnish with an orange twist and a cocktail cherry (optional) and serve.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 0 mins
- Category: Drinks
- Method: By hand
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: maple old fashioned cocktail recipe, maple old fashioned without bitters, how to make an old fashioned without bitters, old fashioned with maple syrup, buffalo trace old fashioned, best bourbon for an old fashioned, maple syrup old fashioned, maple bourbon cocktail
Article originally posted October 25, 2022; Last Updated June 16, 2023