If summer were a salad, I like to imagine she’d be this beautiful berry fruit salad – aptly named, of course.
Growing up in the South, the summers were scorching hot. Ripe tomatoes, garden fresh okra, late-summer sweet corn and fresh berries were never too far from reach. The simplicity of this Summer Berry Salad evokes memories of berry-stained little fingers and juicy snacks on sweaty summer afternoons.
Here’s why you’ll love this easy summer salad:
- Comes together in 10 minutes.
- Fresh berries and cherries are bursting with flavor.
- Rich in nutrients and heart-healthy fiber.
- Only a few simple ingredients.
- Beautiful presentation that’s perfect for summer potlucks and pool parties.
Summer Berry Salad Recipe Ingredients
We’ll keep this section simple and sweet, like the fresh berries featured in this recipe. Add a small squeeze of fresh lemon juice and some poppy seeds – it doesn’t get much easier than that!
Here’s what you’ll need to make this simple summer salad recipe.
- Black cherries
- Lemon juice
- Poppy seeds
Health Benefits of Berries and Cherries
The vibrant berries in this healthy fruit salad recipe boast a broad range of nutrients. Purple- and blue-violet hued foods – including berries and cherries – are high in anthocyanins, which boast major health benefits, including:
- Anti-inflammatory properties
- Immune system support
- Cancer-fighting antioxidants
- Brain function support
- Cardiovascular benefits
A recent study published by the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry noted that anthocyanins may have the potential to reduce the risk of Type 2 diabetes. Furthermore, according to WebMD, the more vibrant the purple, blue and violet hues in the fruit and vegetables, the higher the levels of anthocyanins.
Cherries, specifically, may also aid in post-exercise muscle recovery and sleep support. Check out Cleveland Clinic’s article on the health benefits of cherries to learn more.
Summer Berry Salad: Frequently Asked Questions
Is this a gluten-free recipe?
Yes, this recipe leans on plant-forward whole foods that are naturally gluten free. This easy summer salad is also vegan, low-sodium and free of refined sugar.
Can I substitute the berries and cherries for other fruits?
Absolutely! This Summer Berry Salad is easily modified to feature your favorite summer fruits. Delicious substitutions may include strawberries, currants, peaches, plums and watermelon. Feel free to mix and match.
Do I have to use black cherries?
No, any cherries that are in season near you and easily accessible will work great.
Can I substitute frozen fruit for fresh fruit?
It is not recommended. Frozen fruit won’t hold its texture well in salad format.
Can I make this salad in advance?
Delicate salads are always best made fresh. If you prepare this salad no more than a day in advance, ensure the fruit is washed and thoroughly dried so it holds its texture and doesn’t become mushy or soften too quickly. Store it in an airtight container until you’re ready to serve it.
How should leftovers be stored?
Store leftover berry salad in an airtight container for up to one day.
Can I freeze leftovers?
Yes, you can freeze leftover berries and cherries. However, please note that freezing the fruit will change its texture. Freeze the leftover fruit for up to three months to use in smoothies, cobblers, fruit crisps or jams.
Looking for More Berry Salad Recipes?
- 6 ounces fresh raspberries
- 6 ounces fresh blackberries
- 6 ounces fresh blueberries
- 6 ounces fresh black cherries
- 1–2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
- Rinse the berries and cherries in a colander under cold running water. Allow the fruit to thoroughly dry on a layer of paper towels or a clean kitchen towel. If the fruit doesn’t thoroughly dry it may become mushy and lose its texture. Feel free to pat the fruit dry with a paper towel to speed along the drying process.
- Remove the stems and pits from the cherries and cut them in half lengthwise. Cherry juice stains, so protect your countertops and your clothes accordingly.
- Add the fruit to a bowl or serving platter, add the lemon juice and poppy seeds and gently mix to combine. Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 10 mins.
- Cook Time: 0 mins.
- Category: Salads, Sides, Vegan, Vegetarian
- Method: By Hand
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Gluten Free
Keywords: summer berry salad, easy summer salad, berry fruit salad, fresh cherry recipe, healthy fruit salad recipe,