Heirloom tomatoes and fresh Mozzarella come together beautifully in this Easy Caprese Salad recipe. Drizzled with balsamic glaze and topped with fresh basil, this fresh mozzarella and tomato salad serves as a simple appetizer or an easy side salad for your favorite pasta dish.
Authentic Italian Caprese Salad features fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, extra-virgin olive oil and fresh basil, but we think the additions of balsamic glaze and fresh greens are tasty additions to the classic Italian Caprese Salad. If you’re interested in the history of this salad that is said to have originated on Italy’s Isle of Capri, check out this article on the lore surrounding the origin story.
Fresh mozzarella is key here and you can find it pre-sliced or slice it at home. I use heirloom tomatoes when I can find them. Local, in-season tomatoes are absolutely divine when they’re at their peak in summertime. I create a bed of greens using microgreens or arugula. Spinach and watercress are also great options for this fresh and easy appetizer idea. A high-quality extra-virgin olive oil should be used along with balsamic glaze. With a few ingredients, you can have a fresh tomato mozzarella salad in a flash.
- Handful of greens, such as microgreens, arugula, baby Spinach or watercress
- 3–4 medium heirloom tomatoes, sliced
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 1 bunch fresh basil (10–15 leaves)
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Balsamic glaze or reduction, for drizzling
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- If your mozzarella is not pre-sliced, slice it to about ¼-inch per slice. Slice your tomatoes to an equal thickness.
- Spread a handful of greens on a small platter or serving tray. Alternating the fresh mozzarella and tomato slices, layer on top of the greens.
- Drizzle the extra-virgin olive oil and balsamic glaze or reduction to your liking and top with the fresh basil leaves and a sprinkle of sea salt and freshly ground pepper. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 10 mins.
- Cook Time: 0 mins.
- Category: Salads
- Method: By hand
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: easy Caprese salad, easy appetizer, mozzarella and tomato salad, simple appetizer