- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, diced (about 1 small onion)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced (or ginger paste)
- 2 cups butternut squash, diced
- 2 pounds carrots, sliced
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 4 cups broth of choice
- 1/4 cup milk of choice or heavy cream (optional)
- Microgreens or cilantro, for garnish (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Over medium heat, sauté onions in extra virgin olive oil until translucent. Add garlic and ginger and sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the next five ingredients (through turmeric) and sauté until fragrant and the spices coat the vegetables, about 30-45 seconds.
- Stir in the broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until vegetables are soft and thoroughly cooked.
- Remove from heat and use an immersion blender (low setting) to puree the soup until smooth. If you don’t have an immersion blender, let the soup cool for 5-10 minutes then use a blender to puree the soup in several small batches.
- Add milk of choice or heavy cream, if desired, and blend until combined. Garnish and enjoy!
- For oil-free, use water or vegetable broth in place of the extra-virgin olive oil.
- For vegan or dairy-free, use water or vegetable broth in place of the milk or heavy cream.
- Reduce your prep time by preparing the ingredients the night before.
- Use 1 teaspoon of ground ginger if you don’t have fresh ginger or ginger paste. Ginger paste is found in the refrigerated herb section of many grocery stores.
- The curcumin in turmeric is responsible for its deep yellow color. Whether you’re using fresh or ground turmeric, be mindful of its powerful pigmentation – turmeric stains countertops and clothes.
- This Carrot and Ginger Soup is freezer friendly and perfect for meal prep.
- Prep Time: 10 mins.
- Cook Time: 30 mins.
- Category: Soups + Stews
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: carrot and ginger soup, healthy soup recipe, carrot soup recipe, vegetarian soup recipe, heart-healthy soup recipe,